March 24, 2009

Road Warriors

Josh went on his first road trip this past weekend. We went to Vancouver and first saw Kattie and Lillian, then stayed the night at Eric and Amy's new home. Josh did really well on the drive up. Then it was over to Mattawa to stay with Ashley and Leon and see their family as well as Kevin and Ronda's. Josh did really well on that car ride too, even with all the elevation changes popping his little ears. Seeing so much of the family was wonderful and while I think Josh was a little overwhelmed at times by all the cousins, he was also fascinated by them. You could just see his little brain working overtime to figure them out. I swear his was looking at his toes and lifting up his legs more after watching Macey suck on her toes.

Here I am with Grandma Sessions and all three of the new babies: 2.5 week-old Warren, 7.5 month Macey and 5.5 month Josh.

Josh and his great-grandma, who was pretty surprised with his size and heftiness.

Warren, who is in the adorable "little old man" newborn phase. I can't believe that Josh was that little once. It seems so long ago.

Leon, David's brother, with his daughter Macey and Josh. She is such an adorable little princess!

The car ride home was very long, almost 7 hours and just our luck, Josh started teething. He has been pretty cranky since Monday and we can see the tooth getting ready to come through. To make the car ride even better, I ate something that didn't agree with me. So poor David had to deal with a teething screaming baby, me and my "I need a rest stop NOW" and the jingling, repetative music-playing toys that we had to keep Josh entertained. He is a saint for never complaining once.
Since Josh started teething he has been chewing on whatever gets near his mouth. This time it was the (perhaps unlucky?) rabbit's foot of one of his toys. Any good suggestions for helping to sooth his little gums? We've been giving him some Tylenol, (we did have some baby Orajel, but when I called the pediatrician to ask about Tylenol dosing, they told me not to use it because it could numb his throat and cause him to choke). He can't use a teething ring because he doesn't really have the hand cordination to hold onto something that big yet. He also screamed up a storm when I tried rubbing his gums with my finger, so that's out. I tried putting one of his binkies into the fridge because he does like to chew on them, but it only stays cold for about 30 seconds. Mainly he likes to chew on his hands.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teething Tablets---it's what they are actually called. It's a homeopathic method and they work pretty well. They mostly just put Claire to sleep half of the time, but it works out pretty well. She's not awake to be in pain and she's not awake to also cry at me. If you can't find them at the store, give me your address so I can send you some. I also give Claire a toothbrush to play with, and she chews on that. it's small enough that she can't choke on it.
I think your dr is crazy, though. When has Tylenol made YOUR throat go numb? I guess you could get some liquid Tylenol and drink the proper does to test that it really does make your throat go numb. I don't know. Sorry for being opinionated---you don't have to listen to me, of course. I also think IB Proffin is a better choice because it lowers the fever if it ever gets bad.

I've decided that whenever Claire is around older babies, or even kids, she develops to the next stage faster. It's crazy! But neat! I try to get her around kids more often for that very reason.

Lauren said...

it was the orajel they told me not to use, not tylenol

The TAUFA'S said...

you could put an icecube and wrap it in a towel and let him chew on it. It will help numb is gums, but he probably will be wet. try putting the binkie in the freezer instead of the refrig. sorry but i did the tylenol or ib profin with the orajel. i didn't notice lillian having a hard time or choking. i guess if your monitoring him it would be alright to mix. it was great to see you and glad that you made it home alright.