We just got home from visiting David's family in Washington. The trip didn't start well. We had a tire blow on the freeway and after stopping to put on the doughnut, limped to a near by Les Schwab. They of course didn't have one in stock, so we gimped up the freeway to the next town to get one. At least we got the price discounted a little because they said their tires shouldn't just blow out like that. There was a gaping hole in the tire wall and there was all sorts of smoke coming out. We're probably lucky it didn't cause an accident. Two hours later, we were back on our way. Josh has molars coming in and it has turned our normally sweet boy into a monster. He pretty much threw a fit for the entire nine hours and only slept for about two. It got to the point where I was almost in tears plugging my ears to drown out his terrible, ear-piercing screams. I have never heard a baby cry at such decibels. I honestly believe that I am losing my hearing.
So, after this very unpleasant drive, we arrived to stay with David's parents. We went to the ward Christmas party (where I ate one of the best cinnamon rolls EVER) and saw friends and family. The rest of the time was spent with family. Josh loved playing with his cousins. I need to import some of them down here to entertain Josh! He played peek-a-boo with Grandma and is very good at walking now. It took him a little while to warm up, but once he did, his wonderful laugh entertained everyone. Teething was still a problem and he was running a very mild fever, but it was easier to manage when he was happily distracted by his cousins.
The weather smiled on us and didn't snow or ice up for our drive home. After replacing a burnt out headlight, our little car did take us home without further incident. Josh was good for the first five hours, then decided to make the last two hours an extreme trial in patience. I was contemplating putting his car seat (with him in it) in the trunk. He was tired, his teeth hurt and he just was sick of being in the car. Truth be told, we were sick of being in the car with him as well! But we did make it home, already missing our Washington family. I hope we can get up there more often in 2010. We're looking forward to seeing everyone at a family reunion this spring in Colorado.
1 comment:
I knwo how you feel traveling with a wee one. when Phoebs was 8 mos old we made the 13 hr trip home and we thought if we trveled at night she would sleep. NOPE she kept us awake crying the whole trip.
Then last spring we went to Vegas with my parents while she was theething and whenever we went to eat she screamed so loud that literally one old couple in line in front of us stuck their fingers in their ears to block Phoebs' yelling out.
Post a Comment