March 30, 2012

Can we just win the lottery already?

Ever since we moved into our new house, my wish list keeps on getting longer and longer.  Darn you, Pinterest and Houzz for all your beautiful pictures of what I could turn my home into.

Some things I know are going to have to wait a few years to come true, like redoing the kitchen to expand the space and put in a floating island, new carpet, painting the the pinkish walls and turning the master bathroom into an actual master bathroom.  Those will take some serious cash even with doing the work ourselves.  And there's no sense in putting in new carpet until we can reasonably expect the children to not smash blueberries into it.

We hope to spiff up the master bedroom this summer by painting, putting up crown molding and building a window seat/bookshelf along our wall.  I figure it will be the test run for other home improvement projects and if it ends up going horribly, horribly wrong, we'll be the only ones who have to see it.

The rest of my wish list are for things we don't need right now, but I'd really like to have:

- King-sized bed.  See previous post about children discovering that it's great fun to wake up and come bounding into our bed.
- Big dining room table.  Ours is itty bitty and has a glass top.  Not exactly family friendly.
- A freezer for the garage.  We'll need a fridge someday soon too.  We had six gallons of milk in the fridge the other day and there's just four of us.
- A chair for the living room.  I'd really like my rocker back in my nursery, plus we need something big and sturdy for when all the children insist on sitting on top of you.
- Fake fire place.  I love the look of them, plus I want a mantle for the charming holiday vignettes I wish to make some day.
- A china hutch for the dining room so I can a) display my pretties and b) have more storage.
- Rack system for the garage so that we David can properly organize our totes of camping gear and holiday stuff.  The shelving currently in the garage is too narrow to hold our rubbermaids.

Unless we somehow come into a bunch of money, everything except the freezer will have to wait until next year to start saving for.  So until them I'll just keeping pinning and tagging my pretty-house daydreams.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was fun to read cause I have a big list too:) a freezer is high on my list! A must with a growing family!

Lauren said...

Oh, and added to the list is a new washer/dryer. Ours has the tiniest capacity possible so I can't do big loads.

Stephanie said...

I feel ya - only I'm still wishing we could even buy a house! :S Ugh. I keep telling myself that it won't be too much longer before we can finally give up renting so that I can paint walls and put up molding and commit to window treatments and things. I keep reminding myself to be thankful for what I do have. :)