After reading a friend's post about their inspiration for naming their newest son, I started thinking about the reasons why we named our kid Josh. We decided on Joshua because of the faithful warrior-prophet in the Bible. We wanted our son to have a strong name that might inspire him. We chose David not only because of it being his dad's name, but because David is a family name on both sides. It's the name of his grandfather (David's dad) and his great-grandfather (my father's father) who died back in 1991. He left such a great legacy in the law enforcement community that people still talk about him today. David is also the middle name of my father and brother, out of respect to Grandpa B. So all in all, Joshua David was named after great men of integrity and spiritual strength, which is all I can hope for in my son. For those readers who have kids, why don't you post on the meaning (or your reasons) for your children's names?
Its hard to imagine him ever being so little!
On a somewhat related note (since it's about Josh)...
Josh has started doing something pretty cute lately: sharing Cheerios. At church, he will ask for one from me, then he will hand it to whatever other little kid is nearby. He will do this as long as the kid will take them, which last time was about 5 minutes straight of feeding her Cheerios. In little kid attention time, this is a marathon. The funny thing about Cheerios is that kids seem to pop up out of nowhere as soon as you open them up. It's like blood in the water for sharks. Last time I had about 5 of them circling around. We don't mind at all, because I know Josh mooches treats off all their parents too. The idea of a village raising children it totally evident in our ward. Everyone has been so great to help take care of Josh when I'm not there, or crawl under a bench to get an errant binkie when I can't bend down, or rescue a toy dropped over the back of a pew.
3 comments:
That's so cute about sharing Cheerios. :) We chose Caleb's name the same as Josh (same Bible story, in fact). Caleb was one of those who brought the righteous report back to Moses about the Promised land and was one of only a few granted the ability to live to go into it. :) His middle name is my father's.
Gunner Archibald--the name our readers chose for our first born son.
His real name, however, is quite special to us. He is named after both great-grandfathers, who were both great men. First name, Spiff's grandfather. Middle name, my grandfather. Love it!
LOL! What a fabulously written story. I still love your christmas letter. it was priceless.
Names: I agree with the strength of names too. You did a double whammy with both names.
Post a Comment