February 12, 2010
crouching baby, flying leopard
Every now and then, I get a taste of what life is going to be like someday when I'm a stay at home mom. Recently, David was out taking a test and then had an eye doctor appointment. So I had Josh for about 9 hours straight with no back up or reinforcements. Surprisingly, this is something I've rarely done. When David was in school it generally was only for a few hours, then he'd be home for a while, then out again to study in the evenings when Josh was going to bed. On this particular day, I was amazed (and thankful again for his amazing daddy) by how much time I had to spend actively playing with him. He wants to play ALL day! With ME! I'm considering the benefits of having a second child right after the first so that they might entertain each other. On this particular day, Josh was really into his big stuffed animals. Mr. Leopard in particular.
We had been playing Leopard and Antelopes (Josh was the unfortunate antelope) when he ran away from the leopard squealing. I threw the leopard at him, smacking him square in the back and knocking him down. (Before you call child services on me, know that I am a textbook definition for the term 'throws like a little girl' and I was just tossing it lightly.) Of course, Josh thought this was the funniest thing in the world and thus began almost twenty minutes of him running away from me, laughing like a mad man, while I tossed the leopard at him at various stages. Why I didn't capture this on camera, I don't know, but if you were there, you would have been rolling on the floor laughing with me. Sometimes I would nail him on the back, knocking him off balance, other times I would wait until he would inevitably peak back to see if he was being chased. Again, my neighbors probably think I'm totally nuts, because of course you can't have a leopard and antelope hunt without sound effects. I'm not reenacting death scenes here, but giving my approximate guess of the various growls and snarls a hunting leopard might use. Then I thought about it and realized that if leopards went around snarling and growling while hunting, there would be a lot of hungry leopards out there. At least I think my neighbors might like me more if I was a little more realistic in my animal noises, or preferably, the lack thereof.
brought to you by
Lauren
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Totally funny! And yes, they do want ALL of your attention. I remeber that I had to keep reminding myself that its also a good thing for them to learn how to play by themselves (that was a sanity break for me). Sounds like you have the whole playing thing down! Fun times.
Sounds like such a fun time and great memory with your little guy. It's one of those you hope to be able to play back on your life reel when you die.
Way to go Lauren!! I'm glad you enjoyed playing with him. Boys love to wrestle and be tackled. It's just in their nature. I bet it was really fun. What a great bonding time for you.
Nick has this game with all children: "Here child, let me throw these socks (used or otherwise) at you while you run. then pick up said socks and bring them back to me so I can repeat the pattern...for hours."
Your discriptions of animal noises and how inopportune they can actually be is histarical.
Can hardly believe that you never spend 9 hours without any other back up! Wow! taking on this child would be hard!
and forgive the spell check. I knew I needed to fix things, but I forgot in my haste! I wanted to read the next funny post!
I was terrified the first time I was left all alone with Caleb all day long. I know exactly what you mean. And it's true that with just one, you are the entertainment slash playmate. I have to say that having two was much easier than having just the one. But that's just me. That said, you are such a fun mom. Sounds like he was having the time of his life. It's all about the rough play with these boys sometimes and that was just perfect. :)
Post a Comment