April 7, 2011

Save Some Money on Laundry

Since I had a monstrous amount of laundry to do today (I don't do laundry on my work stretches) it made me think about something I've done for a year now that's saved me a lot of money: use less laundry detergent.

It started with an article I read on CNN last year about tests done on washing clothes with less detergent and sometimes no detergent at all.  This isn't the exact article, but it does give some advice on cutting back.  Turns out it's more about the agitation and water than the soap, which is a good reason why you shouldn't cram your washer full.  I decided to give it a try.  I use only a third of the soap recommended and my clothes come out just as clean as before.  Now, I don't have to deal with grass stains or mud-soaked clothes yet, but for general laundry, this should work for you too.  I use a stain remover and soak soiled (big spit ups/poos) clothes first.  Some sites say that if you use powdered soap (like the Tide Free I use) you should let the soap fully dissolve and let the water fill up halfway full before putting clothes in.  Bah.  I start the water, gather up the clothes, dump in the soap, wait about 15 seconds and then put in the clothes.

For those who live around us, you know that we generally appear in public wearing clean and non-stinking clothes, so you can tell that it really works to use less detergent.  Well, I'm an exception to that right now, but it's because my squirmy baby likes to chew on my clothes and then spit up on them to improve the flavor.

Give it a try and see if you can tell a difference.

(I just thought of something: I use an older, top loading washer.  If you have a front loader, or a HE one, you might want to look online and do a little more research.)

2 comments:

Kristen and Alex said...

Good to know! Thank you!

Madame Palmkey said...

I also use a smaller amount of detergent. We ahve a front loader so it uses less water to begin with. Also there is a difference to me between the amount of santizing underwear needs and the amount that adult shirts and pants. So I adjust accordingly, though I do always use some soap.