April 2, 2011

I live dangerously.

It took me almost four months, but I finally did it.  A feat so outlandish that most would call it being foolhardy.  A task wrought with danger and the potential for mental anguish.

I took both boys out shopping. 

By myself. 

Without bottles, a change of clothes, sippy cups or snacks, though I did pack diapers and wipes.  To go without a diaper is akin to thumbing your nose at the powers above and asking for a blowout of epic proportions.

What possessed me to venture forth with two kids, unassisted and with no back up? 

Craigslist Ad: "Children's resale store going out of business, all books 25 cents." 

Josh adores books with all the enthusiasm that a toddler can have, which means books get pretty beat up around here.  His favorite pirate ABC book has been torn and taped up so often that I need to go buy another one.  I'm getting rather good at book restoration, but when pages get torn repeatedly into multiple pieces, there isn't much I can do.  So when I saw the ad, I knew that I couldn't pass it up.  Since the store only had limited hours that fit with my schedule, I packed both boys into the car and zoomed off before closing.  Armed with only a baby sling, an umbrella stroller and the itouch, I got a few outfits and as many books as I could before the boys' crankiness dictated it was time to return home.

Here's the haul: 14 books, a brand new 5T sleeper, new button up shirt, onesie and two more outfits not pictured for $12.62.

So now that I've made my maiden two-child-solo voyage, am I confident enough to start taking them out on a regular basis?

Do I look crazy to you?  Wait a second... don't answer that. 

I foresee many more late-night grocery shopping trips in my immediate future.  I was about to start telling you about all the crazy people you see at the grocery store at 10pm at night, like the biker-grandpa who was wearing a top that pretty much consisted of only two strings, but then I realized that someone could probably include me in their blog post about the weirdos shopping late at night.

        "There was a woman, meandering around with this blissed-out look and I could only think that this was the first time today someone wasn't whining at her, or screaming in her ear, or crying for 'Green Eggs & Ham' to be read for the billionth time.  No wonder she took five minutes to pick out two avocados."

I figure I'll be able to go out regularly in public without the backup of another adult in probably four years or so.  Until then, I've found that being a hermit is surprisingly easy.

4 comments:

Kristen and Alex said...

Haha I know....going out with 2 is crazy! I say stay home! Hahahaha you make me laugh! I've been couponing more lately....yeah!

deb sorensen said...

I can't stand to be in the house all day! We take walks to the library, the grocery store, around the neighborhood...anything I can think of. Claire is a huge handful, but she listens and if she doesn't...into the cart with her. A place I can hold over her in a desperate moment. I was wondering how you manage Josh in stores with kids! I'm sure it's ton tougher than mine!

Lauren said...

I wish we could get outside more, but the constant rain mixed with two sick kids makes it tough. But everytime it is nice we go to the playground. It rained every single day in March here! Blah.

Lulu said...

WHAT STORE DID YOU GO TO? haha We need books bad! She beats them up...