May 9, 2011

I'm back, and celebrating the tender mercies.

Did you miss me?  Wait, don't tell me you didn't notice that I haven't been blogging lately?!  It isn't like there are other things important out there on the 'net like royal weddings, infamous deaths and celebrity births to keep you occupied or anything.  Things have been kind of busy around here as we get ready for David's surgery (repairing a torn ACL) and I try to keep the damage below a hazmat level maintain a house of somewhat order.  My laptop is also feebly pushing through what might be its last life.  Josh knocked it off the couch and ever since, it sounds like there is an angry gnome with a jackhammer inside of it, along with an occasional burning smell.  Computer expert I am not, but I don't think this is a good sign.  The power cable has also gone bad, so it will only charge if it is in just the right (constantly moving) spot.  So I have to hold it funny on my lap to keep power to it.  Needless to say, blogging has been a bit difficult.  I am so glad to hear you somehow survived my absence.

David recently got a new laptop (Josh destroyed his old one... I'm sensing a pattern here) but I'm hesitant to use it because a) it was a LOT of money, b) he uses it to work from home, c) it's been on my watch that Josh has destroyed multiple electronic devices and d) the space bar sticks.  Do you have any idea how annoying it is to type when the space bar only works about half the time?

Anyhow, I've decided that I missed blogging (and the affirming comments that come with it, helping to validate my mundane existence) so I'm back, laptop perched awkwardly as to maintain power and angry lawn gnome working away.  No burning smell yet.
Today I am grateful for a few tender mercies.  First off, in a move that says I should be admitted to a mental institute I am a super mom, I took both boys out grocery shopping.  There are some good sales this week and stock tends to go quickly.  When I pulled into Fred Meyers, there was one of those cool car shopping carts right next to me.  The basket was big enough for Ben to continue sleeping in his car seat, though strategic stacking of groceries around him had to take place.  Josh, thanks to the itouch, silently watched a movie the whole time, occasionally pretending to drive the cart.  I don't think I've ever taken him out without at least one ear-piercing screaming fit.  I got all the deals I wanted, including bagged salads for 50 cents, boxes of cereal for 25 cents, yogurt for 33 cents and lots of bread, peanut butter and juice for a dollar each.
Ben slept through the ENTIRE trip and waited to throw up on me until we walked through the door at home.  That, my friends, is a tender mercy indeed.  I also didn't realize until I got home and looked in a mirror that I went out with hobo hair.  At least I didn't know about it to feel self-conscious about my looks, nor did I run into anyone I knew, which always seems to happen when I go out looking less than stellar.

Life may not be pretty most days, but I can at least be thankful for these little blessings.

5 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

That is a blessing indeed. I avoided grocery shopping entirely this week because Chris just up and went without me. What a happy moment! Unfortunately since I assumed I was going I didn't feel the need to tell him we needed milk, sandwich meat, cereal etc. etc. So I ended with a more limited selection than planned but still, gratefuL!

The Marley Family said...

I totally missed your witty blog postings. Glad you are back.

A similar thing happened to our laptop. When we asked a comp professional, he said laptops are not designed to take a fall. Ours, sadly, was gone for good. :( Hope yours continues to work.

Good job taking both boys out. What a triumph!

Meghan C said...

First - I missed your posts and I'm glad to see you back! You always make me chuckle.

Second - you find amazing deals. I'm blown away. I've tried couponing but it seems like the the coupons are always for items that we wouldn't normally buy, making it into an increased cost instead of a savings. Where do you find your coupons?

Third - I've had hobo hair for the last 3.5 months and have a feeling that this will continue until Elsa is able to function on her own (who knows how many years that will be... 25? lol). So I hope you find some solace in knowing that you're not alone :-)

Kristen and Alex said...

I missed you! Welcome back! You get such great deals. I signed up at Swagbucks a little over a month ago and have a $5 Amazon gift card coming already. And I have really been trying to get into the couponing lately. Thank you for your helpful posts!

Lulu said...

I laughed at the laptop problems>we had a laptop once where we had to balance it just so, to keep the power going..lol As for that deal-tell me exactly how you did it. Which coupons did you get and from where? The yogurt, cereal, bread, etc we would actually use. It's all those coupons I usually see for sugary candy, or marshmallows, or canned products we would never use-that's what I usually come across. But what you listed-we would use!