June 15, 2011

Lessons From Tiny Professors

Yesterday I had a sweet reminder about the love of children.  Ben had been very fussy for the past hour and though he was hungry, wouldn't eat anything and kept fighting me.  (Please let those darn teeth pop through soon.)  I finally got frustrated enough that I just laid him down on the couch to cry it out for a while.  After about 30 seconds of Ben's pathetic wailing, Josh came over, took the bottle from me, said "Bottle?" and proceeded to gently put it into Ben's mouth.

It was a tender moment and reminded me of Jesus' teaching in Matthew 18:
At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?  And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, and said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.  Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Once again, I have been humbled by my children.  The love of a young child is incredible.  Even though I get really frustrated and upset with them sometimes, they forget it instantly and love me just as much as before I lost my temper.  The greatest in our Father's kingdom are those who love unconditionally.  Josh's example of tender compassion and love for his brother was a poignant reminder to me of what I should be trying to do with my life.

Most of the time, I seem to be caught up in trying to impress, or just survive, the opinions of the world.  I am an educated, smart, independent woman, but do I focus more on wanting others to know that I'm educated, smart and independent?  I spend the first part of church not focused on the messages presented, but instead on trying to keep my boys from making too much noise (futile) because I'm worried that people are judging me because of Josh's tantrums.  Do I pass judgment on others because I feel myself superior in terms of intellect, motherhood, or experience?
I'm grateful for a reminder from my children about what's really important: unconditional love and compassion.

2 comments:

BOT said...

You've got some handsome boys there Lauren! So cute. :) I love their little, loving spirits that teach us so much. As far as Sacrament meeting tantrums...I can assure you that the majority of understand because we've either been there, or in our case will be there very soon. Oh how fun those meetings will be this time next year when our little man will be a running and talking machine...:). Also, I miss you guys already! So fun to keep updated through your blog.

Mindy said...

I also find James' capacity for forgiveness amazing. He can love and forgive me immediately, and I have a hard time forgiving either one of us. Thank you for posting this. It's nice to know I'm not alone in thinking the things that I do.