August 24, 2011

letters to my kids

I know I moan and groan and gripe about my kids a lot, but as I sit here reflecting on life in general, I'm realizing that things are going by so incredibly fast and that I should enjoy the little moments more. There are so many moments that are never going to come again, like how Josh used to watch Peter Pan and he would stand in front of the TV with his arms held up to the sky during the "You Can Fly" song. So many sweet instances are flashing by too quick for me to even catch a photo on my phone. I know that someday I'll totally forget the happiness that I felt when for the first time Josh listened and carried out my instructions to take a toy to his brother.
 
So, to combat such forgetfulness and to more precisly document the goings on of the Yorgesen household, I'm going to try to write a weekly letter to my boys. I'll post those letters here because, frankly, I don't really have that much more interesting things to blog about right now. So without further aideu, here is the inagural "Letters to my Kids."
 
Dear Josh and Ben,
This week has been a pretty good one for all of us. When I went on a baking spree one evening after getting home from work, you boys did a great job of entertaining yourselves. Ben, if you grow up to be a lazy couch potato you can blame it on me for letting you watch too much tv as a baby. Josh, your three favorite things to watch (every... single... day...) are "Winnie the Pooh's Grand Adventure," "The Nightmare Before Christmas" and anything about Thomas the Train. Josh zoned in front of the tv and Ben proceeded to eat his weight in Cheerios. (I jest... sort of.) When Ben ran out of Cheerios and Puffs (I got organic ones to lessen the guilt of plopping him down to feed himself) and started fussing, Josh got the container and after walking over to the kitchen shaking the container as a way of asking permission nonverbally, dumped the entire contents in front of Ben. Ben, your eyes lit up like it was Christmas, birthday and Daddy-comes-home-time all wrapped up into one glorious pile of yumminess. I did intervene at that point to make sure you didn't make yourself sick eating so much.
 
Back in the kitchen making zucchini bread and a double batch of enchilladas, I started to hear Ben laughing. I looked over to see Josh laying on his stomach in front of Ben, ignoring the tv and making funny noises as he grabbed little puffs and made them bounce around. Josh was purposefully trying to make Ben laugh and grinning really big when Ben, of course, cracked up at such silliness. Josh, Ben was looking at you with total adoration and love. I know there will be times later when you two will annoy, agravate and probably even dislike each other, but I hope that deep down you will always remember that brotherly love. We were happy when we found out that Ben was a boy because we knew that you two would be great friends.
 
On Sunday we went and visited the family for Uncle Ryan's birthday. You boys charmed everyone, as you always do. I love how personable you both are beyond just mommy and daddy. Both of you will let anyone hold you and I wish you could see how much joy you bring to your grandparents and great-grandparents when you come up and ask to sit in their laps or give them a hug. Both of you bring so much joy to them. Remember that when you're older with your own kids that it's important to keep in touch with the elder generations. Ben, everyone thought it was so funny how, when you were sitting on your grandpa's lap, that you opened your mouth like a little bird when he was eating the traditional four-layer dessert. You really thought all that yummy chocolate should be going into your mouth. Grandpa of course couldn't resist giving you a few tastes and you loved it. Josh, your favorite part was the sweet lemonade.
 
So that is what life was like this week.  There weren't any monumental events or milestones reached, but instead your mother is finding peace and contentment in the little routines that make up every day life.
Love, Mama

No comments: