January 27, 2012

Sometimes you just need good, cheesy comfort food.

I recently tried a new cooking endeavor: cooking a whole chicken in a crock pot.  And by *I* I really mean David, since he did most the work.  Working with most meats tends to make me gag.  We seasoned said bird, popped it in the slow cooker on low overnight and awakened to an awesome smelling house the next morning.  David then dutifully picked all the meat off the chicken, which we then used in a variety of recipes, like chicken/artichoke heart spaghetti, creamy chicken noodle soup and broccoli chicken casserole.  That last recipe is a favorite that my mom made and is so simple, especially when you have pre-cooked chicken.  So here is the recipe.  The picture isn't mine, but this is close to what the end product looks like.  It was scarfed before photographic evidence could occur.

picture from here
 
Broccoli Chicken Cheesy Casserole
1 large package broccoli florets (cooked and I like to slice/pull them apart into smaller pieces since I hope to fool children into eating veggies)
4 cooked, shredded/chopped chicken breasts

Layer broccoli and chicken on the bottom of a 9x13 dish.  In a separate bowl, mix the following:

1 can cream of mushroom* soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup mayo**
1/2 tsp curry (I do a heaping 1/2 tsp)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (the shaker kind is fine)
1 Tbs lemon juice

* yes, I know those canned things are yucky and bad for you, but I use them sparingly in my cooking.  For an alternate, check out this site for making your own creamed soup sub.  And it can be cream of anything soup.  I had a cream of celery that was close to expiration so I used it instead and it was fine, though it must have been more salty since the recipe was saltier than I remembered.
** I've seen variations on the recipe using sour cream.  I used olive oil mayo.  Non-fat plain yogurt would probably work well too.

After mixing those ingredients, pour over the broccoli and chicken.  Top with around 1 cup of grated cheese.  I use cheddar, but any cheese will work.

Bread crumb mix: use about 1 cup and a half of bread crumbs.  Use less if you're using fine crumbs like Panko.  I take a couple slices of bread and run them through the food processor so that I have a mix of fine and larger bread chunks.  I don't worry about letting the bread dry out ahead of time.  Combine the bread crumbs with 3 Tbs melted butter and 1/4 cup more of Parmesan cheese.  Sprinkle that over the casserole and bake at 350 until hot and bubbly, around 30 minutes.

This creamy cheesy goodness even got my picky eaters to eat broccoli and chicken.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Brittany Evans said...

That looks ridiculously amazing. Thanks for the recipe!! I can't wait to devour this sometime. YUM!

Mindy said...

I have been buying cooked rotisserie chickens at Costco, picking off the meat, freezing it, and then using it in all sorts of meals. I love having pre-cooked chicken in my freezer, although I'm sure it's not the most economical option. (I've never price-checked. All I know is that the Costco chickens are only $5, so I feel pretty good about getting several meals out of it.) I'm inspired by you to try cooking my own chicken. Did you use any particular instructions? I'm going to google it, but I'm wondering what you did.

The casserole looks yummy.

Lauren said...

If I had a Costco membership I would have bought one, because it isn't that much less to buy one, though I'm pretty sure my bird was bigger. I did google it, but it was pretty much just slicing up half an onion to put inside, being sure to clean out the guts, seasoning it a bit and putting it breast side down.

Lauren said...

The last time I made this I used Gorgonzola cheese in the cream mix and a Romano / Parmesan combo for the cup of cheese sprinkled on top. It tasted great, so pretty much you can use whatever cheese you have on hand for this recipe. I also had a few whole wheat hamburger buns to use up, so I crumbled a whole bun in the food processor and that was enough crumbs.