August 31, 2012

since I've nothing better to do... such as giving birth

On Wednesday afternoon, my doctor told me that judging by how quickly I had progressed in my exam, she guessed that I'd give birth in the next 48 hours.  I came home and had about 12 hours of strong, but inconsistent contractions.  I was pretty darn excited because I really want to go into labor naturally this time.  Well, it's Friday evening and I think I've had maybe 10 contractions since I woke up yesterday morning.

Next time (if there is one) I'm going to stop the doctor before she gives me her best guess on delivery.  It's awfully depressing when it doesn't happen, especially when your body seems all psyched up and ready to go.

To distract myself, I have been a cleaning and cooking fiend.  This is what I've been up to in the last 48 hours:
  • Made (with David's help) salsa with the ten zillion cherry tomatoes coming out of our garden.  Froze half of it in ice cube trays for use later on.
  • Cooked and froze mini meat loaves (in cupcake tins.)
  • Baked more zucchini bread (I'm pretty sure I've made around 3 dozen loaves this summer for eating, freezing and giving away.)
  • Prepared and froze chicken taquitos.
  • Transformed old bananas into delicious extremely healthy cookies that trick my boys.
  • Made amazing sloppy joes, which were promptly scarfed down by the family.
  • Cooked up a big batch of bacon so we have the fixin's to eat more of the tomatoes with whatever tickles our fancy.  My favorite right now is wrapping everything up in a flour tortilla.
  • Set out every possible item that I might need for the baby.  Repacked hospital bag after children discovered it.
  • Cleaned master bedroom, finding the hidden stash of cheerios my boys decided to hide under a pillow.
  • Vented frustration at still being pregnant by pulling up an entire bushy walkway of black eyed susans that were practically dead because I'm cheap and only water my lawn enough to keep the HOA off my back.
  • Rescued Josh from two large garter snakes.  Those things are surprisingly aggressive.
  • Broke up approximately 4,276 fights between the boys.
  • Made a double batch of Oreo ice cream that rewards me each night for not seriously maiming someone in my extremely irritable state.
Here's what I haven't done yet:  scrubbed the bathrooms, cleaned out the junk cupboard and gotten the boy's toy room in order to do a massive toy swap once baby arrives.  I don't know if that will get done, because my feet and legs puff up to painful levels after being on my feet for a couple hours.  And since I haven't had the baby, I get to work the entire holiday weekend at the hospital.  On the Labor and Delivery unit.  Talk about cruel and unusual punishment.  I think I might throw myself on one of the beds and demand that someone give me some Pitocin come Monday afternoon.

Here's to hoping that my next post will include an adorably cute picture of a baby boy.

2 comments:

Lulu said...

First of all-as far as what you've accomplished in 48 hours; you put me to shame :) Second of all-even in your "extremely irritable state", you still manage to write a post that makes me laugh! You're quite talented like that...so having said that; I'll hope and pray along with you, that baby boy comes soon!!!

Kristen and Alex said...

Well at least you were right that the next post will include an adorably cute picture of a baby boy! Hooray! You accomplished SO much! It's amazing what the last couple of weeks before a baby comes will do to you as far as how much one accomplishes in a short amount of time. Nesting is amazing! Can't wait to see more pictures!