May 2, 2014

oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

I love it when I can take a recipe and tweak it enough to make it healthier while still being delicious.  This recipe is from an old church cookbook of my mom's, but I adapted it so that I can eat more with less guilt. :)

OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Preheat oven to 350.  A batch makes about 5 dozen cookies.
1/2 cup shortening (or butter)
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
2 cups brown sugar (I prefer dark)
2 eggs
3 cups whole wheat flour*
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
2/3 cup buttermilk**
3 cups oats
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts

Cream the sugar, eggs and fats.  Add dry ingredients, adding the milk before the oats, though the order really doesn't matter.  Shape dough into small balls and bake for 11-12 minutes.

* I've had times when I've had to add 3/4 of a cup more flour.  The dough is rather sticky, so even with extra flour I put the dough in the fridge between batches so help make it easier to handle.

** I hardly ever keep buttermilk on hand, so if you splash some lemon juice in the bottom of your measuring cup and pour regular milk up to the 2/3 mark and let it sit for 5ish minutes it will give you the tangy flavor of buttermilk.


1 comment:

Brittany Evans said...

Ummmmm yes, I have to make these soon! They look amazing. I haven't made cookies in forever. Which is not okay. Mainly because we just moved! Gotta go get some chocolate chips...:)