June 19, 2009

Excellent Book You Must Read

I have to let everyone know that they need to read the book "Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Fight Terrorism and Build Nations... One School at a Time" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. This is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It should be required reading for every single high school student in America. It's Mortenson's story of how after failing to get to the summit of K2 and then getting lost on the decent, he ended up in a remote Pakistani village that nursed him back to health. He made a promise to return and build him a school. What he ended up doing was starting the Central Asia Institute that has been the means of building many school and educating tens of thousands of children, including girls. And it isn't just schools, it was bridges and wells and the basic needs of the people. His life is an inspiration. The website of the book is here and the website for the CAI is here. The Muslim world is vilified in our society and this book shows that education, understanding and the empowerment of women are what will keep our country safe from future 9/11's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds great...I'll put it on hold from the library...

how do you get your hands on so many books, anyway? Are you one of those: I'm building a library and MUST add to it for future generations! or are you a: I only read things once, so I buy, borrow, exchange, lend, loan kinda of gal?

Lauren said...

I check out books from the library. I actually don't own a lot of them because I don't have the space in the apartment. So I've literally checked out hundreds from our awesome, huge and nearby library.