Today was all about trying to be better. David and I have decided to start being more active. They say if you write down your goals you're more apt to keep them, so here they are for everyone to see: On every morning that I'm not working, except Sunday, we're going to get up and go for a walk/run at 8am (ish). I walk with Josh, and David runs around the block, then back to us, then around the block again so he can keep an eye on us. David would like to loose some weight, and I am finding that my metabolism isn't what it used to be. (Darn muffin top sneaking up over my jeans, what the heck is up with that?!)
I also decided to try to make my own baby food today. Now, I am NOT some little Mrs. Suzy-Homemaker. I don't like to cook and I especially don't like the huge mess it seems to make in my tiny kitchen that doesn't have a dishwasher. However, for the sake of my baby and for the betterment of the planet, I went to the farmer's market, purchased local, organic produce (finding that there isn't a whole lot in season right now that lends itself well to baby food) and came home, determined to cook, puree and freeze individual servings of baby food. Well, $10, a huge kitchen mess, a nasty burnt smell emanating through my apartment, asparagus sprayed on to my face and clothes and only two (TWO? for all that?) ice cubes trays of baby food later, I decided that those 77 cent jars of organic baby food at the store look pretty good. I do feel good about producing something with my own hands and not contributing to the consumption of finite resources that go into making even organic foods (packaging, shipping, etc). However, it really was a lot of work. I learned that next time I will NOT use baby carrots (too much time to peel them) and that I need some one who can watch Josh the whole time (hence the burning smell when all the water in the steamer boiled off while I was changing a poopy diaper.) I made carrots, squash and asparagus. I think I will probably try it again, but I will also buy it from the store because I'm still taking baby steps with this whole cooking/hausfrau thing.
2 comments:
i tried that too, minus the organic produce, i'm all about pesticides:) Anyway, I made carrots, peas and peaches, and I think the flavor was stronger than what addy was used to because she hated them and wouldn't eat them!
claire LOVES my food better than the jars. I never did any fruit because they were all out of seasons when I started to do this. She loves: sweet potatoes (I just cook them like a potato and mash them up a bit now cause she can handle bigger pieces), carrots (I never peeled the baby carrots---I thought they already were...?), peas, green beans, and then she wouldn't TOUCH the squash...dunno... I thought it was okay...But then when I started on fruits and had to buy from Gerber because it was cheaper, I found out how much EASIER it is to just buy it...sigh...you always want the best for your baby, but alas, your sanity comes first!
Post a Comment