July 18, 2009
Oregon Coast Kayaking
Yesterday we kayaked down the Siltcoos River and out to the ocean. Josh was dropped off to spend the day with Grandma and our friend Darren came with us. The weather on the river was fantastic, as you can see in the pictures, but when we got to the beach the normal summer fog bank was in full force. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it that thick before!

The best part of all was that we had a double kayak and David, being the great guy that he is, did most of the paddling. Thanks honey!
That little dark speck is David. You've got to love the Oregon Coast! You don't really call it the beach, because that brings to mind a normal beach idea, like sun and colors other than shades of gray.
We were just playing in the shallow waters, which were actually quite warm (relatively speaking) from the river emptying into the ocean.
No, he isn't wearing a life vest, but see the picture above to show that we were in very shallow water.
A seal came right up to David and looked at him. It spent a while hanging out and watching us, but I couldn't get a picture of it. I was looking more for fins that might follow a seal and repeating the fact in my head that most shark attacks happen in three feet of water. Plus David was wearing "yum yum yellow" shorts.

Yes, Mother, I am wearing my life vest, see? (I will admit it was more for wind protection and warmth than actual lifesaving necessity, but still, I kept my promise that I would wear it...)
The water was a bit shallow at low tide and the guys had to pull the kayaks for a while.
Paddling back upstream back to the dock. It was a fun and inexpensive trip, even though the weather was much better the last time we went.
brought to you by
Lauren
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
that looks fun. I want to try that.
I'm a bit jealous--it looks like a fun adventure. :-)
don't tell nick...he'll be jealous...He probably is waiting for the next time he can go sky diving with you...how's the job front?
Post a Comment