May 24, 2010

A Tale of Veggie Woes

I've now gotten to the stage where Josh is becoming a picky eater and refuses to eat any veggies or meat. It doesn't seem to matter what form it is in, he just refuses to even try it. He used to like carrots (never raw) and now he acts like it's poison even when they're cooked with butter and brown sugar. He will eat any sort of cracker and loves whole wheat bread, but loading up on those carbs isn't doing him any good. Josh will eat eggs and dairy products, which is how he's getting his protein, but I'm worried about him never eating any veggies. I can get him to eat tomato sauce in things like spaghetti, but that's about the extent of it.
Josh is going through another growth spurt (all of a sudden his clothes aren't fitting him) but it mostly seems to be around his middle, not in length. He's always been in the 90+% for weight and I don't want him to become overweight. I've gotten some things like sweet potato fries for sneaking veggies in, but I'd love some suggestions and recipes for stealth veggies. I know that ideally I'll want him to like veggies for their own goodness, but for right now, I'd rather just slip it in and not deal with the tantrums. Thanks in advance for your ideas!

4 comments:

The Fergy Bunch said...

For Phoebe we make smooties. You can sneak a lot of fruit in that way. As long as he eat spaghetti blend blend blend in the veggies, they will have no clue.

Mindy said...

Gunner stopped eating veggies long ago, except for the occasional cooked carrots, and the daily still-frozen corn. I talked to his doctor about it, and she gave us a vitamin prescription. She also said not to try to force anything, and that he'll most likely come around to eating more things when he's ready. They can control very little in their lives, and one of those things is what goes into their mouths. I think we just need to keep offering the good stuff, and hopefully, eventually, they'll stop throwing it at us.

I think Jennie's smoothie idea is great, or have him try V8 Splash juice. I think I might buy us some of that. It's pretty delicious!

deb sorensen said...

smoothies with veggies?

The Marley Family said...

Couple of options:

Offer only veggies, if he cries, too bad. Wait it out

Butter those suckers up!!!