May 13, 2010

We like to party all the time

Early May means lots of celebrating for our family. In the span of 7 days, we celebrate our anniversary, Mother's Day and David's birthday. This year was extra memorable since it was our 5th wedding anniversary. To start things off, we abandoned our child. Yes, for the very first time, Josh stayed the night at Grandma and Grandpa's while we got away for some quality time alone. It has been a long time since we took a car ride that didn't involve a screaming/whining/attention hogging kiddo. We had long stretches of silence just because we could! It was also nice to have a car ride where I didn't have to perform crazy stretches and unnatural bending in order to retrieve a fallen binky or sippy cup while cruising down the freeway.

We stayed Saturday night at the Portland White House. It's a pretty posh B&B in a remodeled 1900's timber baron mansion.
How fancy was it, you ask? Fancy enough that there were freshly baked cookies and chocolates waiting for us in the room. Breakfast was by candlelight and the whole place was furnished in antiques. The bed was so tall and fluffy that if I had been any shorter, it would have required a step stool. This isn't the sort of place we normally stay at (David now makes it a requirement that we have our own bathroom and not a shared w/c down the hall) so it was really nice to indulge for one night.
For dinner we went to Edie May Murder Mystery Theater and it was awesome! The food was just so-so, but I haven't laughed that much in a long time. It is one of those shows with audience participation and the cast was really good.
We also made a stop at Ikea and picked up some things for our apartment. The best thing we got was a table and chair set for Josh.He loves being able to draw (usually on it, thanks Crayola for washable crayons) and run his little cars all over it. And yes, that is his own personal keyboard on the table. The kid loves buttons, what can I say?

Coming back home I was spoiled by my mother, who, on a day where she probably should have been able to relax, took Josh to church and then came home and cooked my special request of turkey and mashed potatoes. Yes, I know I have the best mom ever. Sorry, no pictures to document that day.

On Wednesday, we celebrated David's birthday. It wasn't that great of a day, because I went home early from work sick and then Josh graced me with explosive bodily fluids in multiple varieties. Poor David, imagine coming home to that on your birthday. In order to make up for us probably infecting him with our germs, I raided my party box and pretty much used up all the supplies I had, except the pink crepe paper. The result? Viola! Martha Stewart eat your heart out. Or cringe in fear... take your pick. Yes, those are tiny pirate flags. No celebration in our home is complete without pirate accouterments.
No one turn me into Cake Wrecks, alright? It was the thought that counts.

4 comments:

The Fergy Bunch said...

Cory & I were just talking about what to do for our 5 yr anniversary in Dec. We decided that we would come up with 2 plans each and then vote. My two options are a sleigh ride and dinner or a fancy B&B.

Stephanie said...

What a great anniversary! We HAVE to do something this year for our 10th. LOVE that B&B and the murder mystery dinner! How did you find those? So glad you have had a joyful May so far! :)

Lauren said...

Jennie, we did a sleigh ride a few years ago and loved it. But how do you vote when you only have two people? :)
Stephanie, we found the B&B by reading reviews on tripadvisor. Love that website. Found the dinner theater by doing a google search. I figured a town as big as Portland had to have one. I'm sure Vegas has to have some family friendly ones.

Ashley said...

You do have a busy first half of May. I love this post.