So many times I come across an article or a blog post that I want to tell everyone my opinion about it. However, most of the time it's more of an "amen" or "this is cool" and I don't have much to say about the subject that hasn't already been said in a much more interesting way. So I decided to copy some of my favorite bloggers and make a list on here of the things we've been discussing in our home lately.
Eli McCann's blog is normally made of the stuff that I just about die laughing over, but when he writes a serious post it's most likely just as awesome. He wrote about what's happening in Ukraine right now and I learned more in that short post about what's going on over there than from all the stuff on the mainstream news outlets.
Ironically, I just checked out a book from the library about Amur tigers in eastern Russia (The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival) and I wasn't expecting it to be completely stuffed full of information about Russia's history. I'm rather ashamed that I am so ignorant about Russia. This is a great book to start getting a handle on what is going on in that part of the world, and the things that happened (Stalin era and on) that shaped the country.
Bullying at Church from a Mormon perspective. I sincerely hope that if my kids EVER act inappropriately at church that someone will bring it to my attention so that it will never escalate to the described levels of torment. In a church setting especially we should be cherished and protected from the cruelty of the world.
Speculation that change may be coming to North American Mormon temple wedding policies. This is something that I hope with all my heart is coming. I still feel guilt and anxiety over my wedding nine years ago that I was forced to choose between my family and being married inside the temple. Right now in North America, if you have a civil ceremony you are prohibited from receiving a temple sealing (which is the biggy part of the LDS temple wedding ceremony) for one year. In other countries, laws require marriages to be public so you have a civil ceremony and immediately go to the temple and be sealed. The fact that I was denied this option simply because I live in the USA (versus England, for example) was painful because I hurt the feelings of my family by excluding them. Of course I felt like we didn't have an option; every good Mormon is supposed to have a temple marriage. I hope that this change is coming to make our church more globally consistent in policies, such as the recent changes to lower the missionary age to be in line with other countries who require military service or different educational requirements.
With Josh, it's always a challenge to know what he comprehends, thinks and knows because he has difficulty expressing himself. I've followed the ASD non-verbal teen blogger Ido In Autismland for years and this post about the frustrations of not having the physical ability to express himself was a great reminder that just because Josh can't answer "what is your last name" or "what is that letter" it doesn't mean he doesn't understand my question or know the answer. Maybe he just can't get his mouth to work in the precise way to get the words back out in a form that I can understand.
And to end on a happier note, I (and the rest of the internet) LOVED this wonderful video of Lupita Nyong'o's speech on beauty.
No comments:
Post a Comment