April 5, 2010

Easy Recipe

I wanted to share this easy, yummy dish for slow-cooker scalloped potatoes and ham. I put the recipe below, with my own little notes afterwards.
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham from the "5 Ingredients or Less" Gooseberry Patch cookbook.

2-3 lbs potatoes, peeled, sliced and divided (that was 5 bakers potatoes for me)
3/4 lb pkg cooked ham, cubed and divided (I used 1 lb, because that is how it comes packaged)
1 onion, sliced and divided (I used half an onion, because that is what I had)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
10 3/4 oz can cream of celery soup (try to find reduced sodium, because it was salty)

Layer a third each of the potatoes, ham, onion and cheese in a well-greased slow cooker; repeat two times. Spread soup on top; heat on low setting for 7-8 hours. Stir occasionally. Serves four.

Like I mentioned earlier, this turned out a bit too salty for my taste. I don't know if my ham was extra salty, or if using that extra 1/4 lb ham threw it off, but I would try to either find a reduced sodium soup or ham. I served it with brown sugar glazed carrots. The sweetness balanced things out. It took the full eight hours to cook, with the last hour on the high setting because I didn't slice my potatoes thin enough. It tasted even better heated up the next day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy, i want the recipe for the carrots too:)

Lauren said...

The carrots are really simple. After cooking them, just melt a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of brown sugar on them.

Anonymous said...

yummy, thanks.