July 30, 2010

reaching new levels of patience

What happens when you take an 11+ hour trip in a motor home with a toddler, a puppy, a pregnant lady and 100+ degree temperatures? A chance to learn that my parents are very patient people. Oh, I forgot to add to the mix that my mother had to listen to 'Toy Story' and 'Cars' played over and over and over again for the entire trip there, AND BACK. I don't think she'll ever watch those movies again.

Last week we (minus David, who had to work) embarked on a journey to the exotic vacation destination of Glenn's Ferry, Idaho. Don't bother looking it up. Its claim to fame is Three Island Crossings State park, a place where pioneers crossed the Snake river along the Oregon Trail. This is where my mother's side of the family (which predominately hail from Idaho/Utah) decided to have their family reunion. Once you got past the raging wind, soaring temperatures and biting insects, it was a nice place. All location whining aside (I'm an Oregon girl used to green, trees and cool temperatures), I really did have a wonderful time. There are a group of relatives who used to live in our area who moved to Idaho a few years ago and I hadn't been able to see them since. Seeing them was the highlight of the trip and made me realize how much I missed having them around here.

Josh did as well as one can expect a toddler to on such an adventure. Yes, there were many tantrums, tears and general fussiness, but considering that it was his first trip without his favorite parent, I think he did rather well. The silly child wouldn't eat at all, until he discovered pretzels. I kid you not, that boy ate almost an entire bag and with the exception of one potato roll and a few grapes, refused all other food. He would grab anyone's hand, pull them over to the table where he would point to the bowl of pretzels to beg for more. Everyone was amazed by how big and sturdy he was. A few of the cousins made the mistake of picking him up to toss him around. Not only did they get a workout, but then Josh would hound them for the next hour, going over to grab their legs and ask to be lifted up again. They all think he's going to be a football player and joked about when we were going to have him sign letters of intent.

Here are some pictures of the reunion. Yes, they're all of Josh, because he was my main focus as the solo parental figure.
Josh spent hours playing in his little pool during the hot afternoons. Grandpa was able to get in a lot of bonding time too, which was nice.
Roxie the boxer puppy (here with brother Ryan) and Josh are best buds. Mom calls them Thing 1 and Thing 2 because they're always up to something.
Josh was, of course, the center of attention most days. There weren't that many toddlers, and Josh was the only little kid in our family's section of campground. So everyone pretty much spoiled him. Josh loved all the attention.
Josh got a new toy in honor of the trip: a school bus that plays music and different sounds. He loves dancing to the little song, playing it over and over again until it became ingrained in our brains. We actually caught Dad whistling the tune the other evening.
It was a good trip, though short for the amount of driving. A big thanks go to my parents who let Josh and I bum along with them for the ride, as well as playing a major role in taking care of him. I have decided that I will never, under any circumstances, take a trip with a toddler all by myself. With this kid, one has to have backup!

No comments: