August 23, 2010

Because You're Dying to Know...

So you want to hear more about my exciting life? My attempts to turn into a domestic goddess? The cute, entertaining antics of my lovely child? Well, sorry, that sort of blog doesn't exist. So if you'll settle for a hefty dose of reality, here is what's been going on around here.

First off, where the heck has the summer gone? Between the crummy weather, working every other weekend, studying and taking the CPA exams we have done only three things this summer that might be considered fun. (If you take out the 11+ hour drive each way to Idaho for a family reunion, then it goes down to two.) We got to use our incredible tent twice. Our new camp stove got used once. Total hikes? One. Granted, being pregnant does cut out some of the fun stuff. David was telling me about a family member's trip to the ape caves in WA and was saying how we should get up there and do it. Then he realized that climbing over lava rocks and squeezing through narrow places while in the dark for three miles might not be the best activity for me right now. Maybe next summer, love.

In order to compensate for my first summer of nothingness, I've been trying to be a better homemaker. Today I made a double batch of zucchini bread. It was made with zucchini and eggs from local farmers, which made me feel all green and fuzzy. I've been reading a book about the environmental impact of our nation's diet and the huge waste in money and fuel that comes from shipping our food from around the globe instead of eating locally. Yes, I'm turning more into a hippie with each passing year.

I got distracted while measuring the flour and forgot around cup #4 on how many I had put in of the 6 cups called for. So I estimated. Luckily, they just came out of the oven looking pretty good, so I must have guessed right. One would think it wouldn't be that difficult to keep track of 6 cups of flour, but you, dear reader, aren't trying to cook with my son in the house. I heard a funny noise and looked over my shoulder to see Josh attacking the window sill with an ink pen in a pretty good rendition of the knife scene in 'Psycho.' So I had to run over there and take away the pen before more damage could be done. But not before I noticed the huge area that he had already drawn on while I wasn't looking. I swear I don't keep pens lying around. The little padawan has learned how to use the Force to levitate pens down from high places. I didn't notice until later the artwork he had also left on the wall that ended up taking a lot of scrubbing, along with a magic eraser and hairspray to remove.

I'm becoming more adventuresome in cooking. I made stuffed mushrooms the other night and figured out my own recipe for a Greek salad that I make from scratch for David's lunches. I was inspired by the movie Julie/Julia to do some more cooking, but also by the way women used to dress. What happened to dressing classy? Pearls in the kitchen? It all looked so glamorous. Today I was the opposite of glamor in the kitchen. I was wearing David's black basketball shorts (thank you, rapidly expanding waistline) a yellow faded t-shirt from high school and pink and brown argyle knee socks. The socks were left over from the nice outfit I was wearing earlier when I went out to visit some ladies in my church. I had to wear cute socks for when I took off my shoes in their home. To top this fantastic style off, I was wearing my red crocs. Thank you again pregnancy for making my feet swell up. Julia Child probably would have smacked me upside the head.

To wrap this exciting post up, here are a few pictures of our rare excursion into nature.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Hi Lauren,

I loved seeing you a few weeks ago. I will try to see you again before this year is up.

Your story about the pen markings reminded me of me and my sisters when we were young. One of us took a Sharpie to the wall and colored away for a little bit. Since it was in the closet, I think my mom left it there so we could feel guilty for years to come. :-)

If you're ever up for a day trip up 99W, let me know. Maybe drop off David at work and continue an extra 1/2 hour up north? ;-)

Thanks for sharing your story. :-)

deb sorensen said...

I dress like that without being prego. I think it must be the larger lady look. You would know nothing about that, dear woman.