October 9, 2010

Hospital Time Again

(be sure to check out the post previous to this with some pictures of Josh)

When we lost our minds decided to have another child, I really didn't think things would be difficult this time. According to Murphy's Law, since my first kid came early and spared me the misery that I've been told is the last month of pregnancy, I figured that this time I'd go full term and maybe even past in order to get in as much discomfort as possible. Murphy tends to treat me this way. Yet once again, I find that I should just throw every expectation I have concerning motherhood right out the window.

I'm in the hospital. Again. sigh. I had another positive FFN test yesterday and since it is more reliable this far along in the pregnancy, they shipped me off to the hospital to begin a round of steroid shots. These will help speed up Ben's lung development, since that would be the number one concern of a birth this early. This time I will be here for at least two nights, though I think I've convinced the doctors to let me go home Sunday morning. It's Josh's second birthday and I don't want to cancel the low-key family party we had planned. Luckily my body listened to my dire threats and the contractions have been really mild this time, appeasing the doctors. As long as nothing starts shifting the gears today or tonight, I think I'll get my wish to go home soon.

As with last time, I am blessed with peace and comfort. My instincts tell me that this still isn't the time for Ben to make his appearance. I feel that a November baby is in the works. I'm not in any pain, except for the uncomfortable bed and the many shots I've had to endure. I tell you what, if anyone else comes near my backside with a big honkin' needle, they're going to get a karate kick to the chops. If they happen to be laying on the floor. I can't really lift my leg up more than two feet right now without toppling over. I can hardly find a comfortable position to sit in because in a 36 hour period I have had three huge, thick, oily shots in my hips. You may insert your pitying comments now, thank you.

Yet, I am still a lucky woman. A huge percentage of the world's population doesn't have access to maternal health care at all. I have wonderful insurance that pays for all this. I have a supportive husband and family, along with many friends who pray for the safety of our family. I have a God in Heaven who keeps me in the palm of his hand, blessing me beyond measure with the trust to be a mother to two of His precious children. Add to that mix a chance to read some favorite books without Josh interrupting me every three seconds and life suddenly doesn't look so bad.

3 comments:

Carina & Dan said...

good luck! hope you are able to go home soon. way to keep a positive attitude :)

Lauren said...

Well, I'm stuck here for at least another day. Started getting contractions again last night. They put me on a new medication to see if that will help calm things down. Starting to get a bit frustrated but I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude.

deb sorensen said...

I think my access to your blog was stunted, cause I JUST got this! OHMIGOODNESS! I'm so sorry, woman. You're brave with a great attitude.