October 4, 2010

A Whole Lot of Baggage

When you have kids, simplicity seems to fly out the window. We once backpacked around Europe for 6 weeks with only a small carry-on sized backpack each. Now, we can't leave for a weekend without a trunk full of gear.

I've finally managed to be able to leave the house without a ginormous diaper bag. It only took two years and its only going to last for a few months until monster #2 arrives. However, it doesn't mean that I can just waltz out of the house without planning on the level of a major military operation because, trust me, if I am unprepared someone might think they're going to die (Josh) or go insane (me.)

To leave the house with a toddler involves a new level of strategy. If I plan on being in public, I have to have snacks, distraction toys, sippy cup, snacks, diapers, wipes and snacks. If I'm going to be gone a long time, or to a place like a doctor's appointment where I need Josh to be able to sit by himself, then I have to pry the iTouch out of David's grasp so that Josh can watch a movie. (Thank you, Apple geniuses for creating one of the best distraction tools ever to be cherished by mothers.)

My purse today included the following items: 1 diaper, a baggie of wipes, matchbox car, train, sippy cup, peanut butter sandwich, grapes, goldfish crackers, tissues, a leaf, a rock, wallet, keys and phone. All this for a two and a half hour errand running trip. Since it went over lunchtime, I had to have Josh's food prepped ahead of time. I used to think that kids shouldn't have to be constantly entertained or fed in order to be well-behaved. I used to think that they should develop the ability to entertain themselves and to act nice in public for the sake of being a good little child, not because mommy was bribing them with food. Ha. Maybe there are rare specimens of toddlers out there who will sit quietly in a shopping cart or not attempt to grab every single item off the store shelf without some sort of distraction, but I think they're an urban legend.

You know the saying "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear?" That's my motto when leaving the house with a toddler. My errand-running day went as smooth as possible because I was prepared for everything. (Well, perhaps not everything. A diaper blowout would have put a damper on things, since I no longer take a spare change of clothes when I go out.) I planned a stop that had a play structure nearby so that Josh could burn off some steam. I strategically fed him his lunch while waiting in the doctor's office at our last stop so that by the time we got home, Josh was totally content and went down easily for a nap. And then slept for 3 hours.

(I wrote this post a few days ago. Just to show you how fickle children are, I went out a day later with the same strategy and Josh was a complete and total terror. Everything we tried turned into a disaster. This just goes to show that you can never predict anything about a toddler's behavior.)

5 comments:

The Marley Family said...

I am totally like that. I carry everything with me--even extra snacks if Derek is coming with (cause he will eat the kid snacks, arg).

I must de-bunk this urban legend....it is true!!!--we went to visit friends a month ago. My friend has a 2 year old daughter who she brough along with us when we got pedicures. I thought my friend was insane (because my kids would be running franticly around the nail shop) but her daughter sat contently on my friends lap the entire time all while looking at a magazine with her mom.

I was in total awe. So legend is true!
Or maybe its just a girl thing (I wouldn't know).

Mindy said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one, Lauren! It's rare that I will run out of the house with Gunner and without taking the entire house with me. I went out the other day, fed him some snacks, and then realized that I had left his ever-present sippy cup of water at home. He asked for it repeatedly on the 20-min. drive home, making me feel more and more guilty for not being the responsible, prepared mommy who always has a drink for her thirsty little boy!

And seriously, I have asked other people if they always take snacks with them as they run errands with their toddlers. They say No! And then I wonder how they get anything done and how their kids are so well behaved. I also wonder if I'm too worried about making him happy and shouldn't just make him wait for gratification, but every trip outside of the house goes more smoothly for us if I am prepared with snacks and a drink. So that's what I do.

Like I said, I'm glad I'm not the only one. And I also wonder how I'm going to pack a diaper bag for two kids!!!

Carina & Dan said...

So true Lauren. I won't even take Juliet with me on errands during certain times of the day(ie: pre-nap), it's just not worth standing in line at the store with a screaming toddler that has reached her limit. Either I plan my trips when I know I stand the best chance of her being in a patient mood or don't go at all, or bring daddy. He's better at prolonging her happiness in public places than I am.

deb sorensen said...

"Be Prepared." isn't that like the motto of the Boy Scouts? I seriously think the miscalculated that phrase boy putting it as only a Boy idea. Women know more about being prepared.

.....


Well, maybe because men need to be taught the idea and women already know it?

Unknown said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! It is super cute and entertaining. Keep the posts coming!