February 2, 2011

Christmas in February

I love books.  The library hold section pretty much dedicates the "Y" part of the alphabet to my name.  I have to take a bag to pick up all my books.  I love that I can order my books online and then get an email when they're ready for me to pick up.  Goodreads is an awesome website that helps me figure out what I want to read next.

For Christmas, my parents got me a gift card to Borders.  I saved it until I was able to get a $15 gift card from my online survey points.  Today, I had $40 burning a hole in my virtual web pocket and free shipping.  I found another online code for 33% off, so I got 5 brand new books for $40.74.

Due to the fact that I live in an apartment and will probably be moving at least two more times, I rarely buy books.  In order for me to buy one, it has to be one that I love and want to read over and over again.  Recent purchases include the Fablehaven series, "Three Cups of Tea," and the Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman series.  Here are the books I deemed worthy of my money and my shelf space, along with a link to goodreads and brief description if you're interested in reading them yourself.

"The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch - Words of wisdom from a professor with terminal cancer.  This book makes you so grateful for life and impassioned to live it to the fullest.
"Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen - Ever since my copy fell into a sink full of water and was destroyed, I've been wanting a replacement of this classic.  I love the BBC movie and I love the subtle and wry humor.
"The Goose Girl" by Shannon Hale - Yes, I know this is YA fiction, but I loved the retelling of this Grimm's fairy tale.  Didn't care much for the rest of the series, but this story can stand on it's own.
"Winter Solstice" by Rosamunde Pilcher - For three years now I have read this book after Thanksgiving.  The characters in this book are so real that you just want to back up your bags and go stay with them in the Scottish countryside.
"The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Marianne Shaffer - This book is a series of letters written about life on an island occupied by the Germans during WWII.  While the setup of this book isn't standard, the character development is superb.

So excuse me now, I need to go bury my nose in a book.

3 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

I've read three of your five. Guernsey is one of my go-to feel good books, in part because it is one of the few works of fiction fluff I have in my house. I hsouldn't say that, I have lots of books but I've read the ones I own so many times the fun kind of fades.

Stephanie said...

I love it! I need a new book to bury myself in, too! :)

Pamela Stricker said...

I too used to have to take a bag to the library to clear out the "St" shelf of the hold section! Now I am a student and leisure reading has gone buh-bye.
:( Happy nose burying!!!