February 7, 2011

Inspiration Strikes

I have a tiny pantry.  Itty bitty.  Of course, in our last two apartments we didn't have a pantry at all, so I'm thankful to have any sort of place for storing food.  If you know any Mormons, you know we're all about food storage and while I'm not ready to store 25lbs of wheat (per person!) yet, I do like to stock up on the foods we eat often.  I think we could survive for a month on what I have right now, though Josh would be sorely put out without his morning banana.

Since I've been a thrifty coupon lady lately and stocking up when there's a good deal, finding space for my five boxes of cheerios, six cans of spaghetti sauce or for tubs of peanut butter has become a bit problematic.  The solution was found on a travel website.  One mom suggested bringing a plastic over-the-door shoe holder to free up hotel bathroom space and keep things organized.

"Lightbulb!" as Gru would say.  Why not use one on my pantry door?
And thus we shall now see the fruits of my creativity:

Little pockets for all of Josh's bagged dried fruit and crackers, sauce packets, boxes of noodles, granola bars, tea and cocoa packets, even honey and David's backup A1 sauce.

It's canvas with mesh pockets for $10 from Walmart and it works great!  I'm going to get another one for our coat closet door.  I could store all sorts of things, like gloves, scarves and hats in it.  Way to go, creative self.

6 comments:

Brittney said...

Awesome Lauren! I'm going to keep this in the back of my mind in case I need it later. =)

Kristen and Alex said...

Hey...great minds think alike because I just bought one for my coat closet and I love it and feel so much more organized! The pantry is a great idea too! Nice one!

Colin said...

What a great idea! I think I might have to copy you (if I can find one of those things here in England that is) seriously, I think you are brilliant. I'm all about small space solutions, thanks for such a great idea.

Sadie said...

oops, thinks I was logged in as Colin- that was me! xo

Lulu said...

I love it! I think it's quite enlightened :)

Mindy said...

Brilliant! I love it and I'll just go ahead and use your great idea! I promise that I'll give you credit, too.