The fastest way for a quarter of a year to go by is to be on maternity leave. My little baby is three months old today. I go back to work next Wednesday. I can't say I'm as ready to go back as I was with Josh. Probably because the logistics of childcare for a toddler and a baby are a bit more challenging (have I mentioned that I have a saint for a mother? No, really.) If it was just about money I wouldn't be going back, but we have to have insurance. It's possible to get it through David's work, but it is ridiculously expensive and doesn't really cover much. Figuring that Ben's already had to have ultrasounds and x-rays, we made a wise choice to continue to have my insurance. Plus, David is probably going to have to have work done on his knee this year. I'm hoping that by 2012 we'll be in a position for me to stay home full time with the wee little ones.
Sometimes, though, I wonder why I am so anxious to stay home all the time. Just this last weekend Josh so lovingly gave David and I a violent stomach flu at the exact same time. Probably a third of my waking hours are spent listening to one child or another cry/scream. If I make it out in public, all I ask for is that I don't smell of spit up. Makeup is pretty much out the window. In fact I only seem to go out late at night now so perhaps that, combined with my pasty white skin, might lead the neighbors into wondering if I'm going through some sort of Twilight fantasy. When I do get all gussied up for some event (church is pretty much it right now) my outfit choices are limited to what will cover my hairy legs. Let me tell you, when I get a chance to shower, I sure as heck don't want to spend it shaving. I'd rather stand there in a stupor and let that hot water beat down on my sore muscles. Have I mentioned that my getting-heavy-really-fast baby has pretty much only been content during his sickness while being held? And that the only appropriate way to hold him to his satisfaction is to be walking and slightly bouncing him at the same time? If you wonder how I lost all my baby weight so fast, there you go. The flu helped too.
So why do I want to stay home with two little tyrants all the time? Why do I turn into a human jungle gym or johnny jump? Why have I sacrificed almost all daily personal hygiene? Because my two year-old won't go to sleep now unless he can see his momma. Because all I have to do is look at my baby and he grins and wiggles so much it's like he won the lottery. Because I know that time is going by way too fast and someday I'm going to look back on this and miss it. I won't think about the money we might of had, or the house, or the stuff. I'll be thinking about how a momma hug used to make everything alright in the world and all it took to make them happy was a silly song. And perhaps a cookie.
7 comments:
I love reading your blog. You are such a talented writer and have such a great sense of humor. Often times I laugh out loud, causing me to have to re-read it to Jacob so he laughs, too. =)
So sweet. I'm glad you love it because sometimes I read your blog and think "I don't know how she does it without going crazy." Maybe the need to work is a blessing in disguise, giving you space outside the home to help you see, in spite of the hard times, how much you really love being with your family.
Aw, thanks ladies. Your comments made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Mhana, I think you're totally right. I've always been a firm believer that everything works out for a reason and while some might say I'm already showing crazy tendencies (anyone who could listen in on the conversations I have with my baby would die of laughter) I find in moments of reflection that I wouldn't trade my life for anything. Though I wouldn't mind the addition of a maid.
I agree with the previous comments. You are such a sweet mom and you have an amazing sense of humor! Your posts really brighten my day because I can totally empathize with you with pretty much everything. I admire you for going back to work in order to get insurance. That is a really difficult thing to do, but I am sure it will definitely pay off in the long run. Good luck going back! I am sure it will be hard for a time, but it will pass and then you can stay at home full time. Thanks for making me laugh today!
Oh Lauren...How I sympathize. I can't imagine how difficult it is to go to work, when you just want to be home with your babies. But I truly admire you for your strength :) Also, your post made me cry! Happy tears, of course: but that last paragraph would tug on any momma's heartstrings! It really does go by way too fast. Oh crap, I'm crying again. Anyway, it's SO important to cherish this time of life, because you don't ever want to regret missing a single moment. I think you're amazing...
I love your post and your blog. And I agree, 100%. It's so hard and not gratifying when you're up all night with crying children or struggling all day with a crazy toddler. I have never felt more crazy. But I do love the hugs and the smiles, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I'm sorry you have to go back to work Lauren. It is so hard to juggle work and mothering & it can be very heartbreaking. I hope that things work out for you and that you get to be home with your babies soon enough.
PS: I love reading you blog too, you have a great sense of humor.
Post a Comment