March 15, 2011

Yorgesen Pro Football Team

Not that we plan on having a bunch of kids or anything, but if we did, we could probably have our own football team judging from the size of our boys.  Both had to go to the doctor today so we weighed them.
Josh: 39 lbs  (2.5 yrs old)
Ben: 14 lbs 10 oz (3 months old)
By my measurements, Josh is also 38" tall.  Dang.  Those boys inherited the big genes from both sides of the family.  Chip Kelly, feel free to come by and offer us some scholarships.

On a side note, I think the percentages for all this BMI stuff is ridiculous.  Did you know that according to the CDC, Josh is obese?  Not just overweight, OBESE because he's in the 95% for weight.  Never mind that he's also in the upper nineties for head size and height.  This is why I don't put a lot of stock into statistics.  I mean, look at this kid, does he look obese to you?
"Don't call me fat, CDC!"
He's crying because he thinks I'm mean for not letting him have my phone.

I do not have obese children.  I don't think he's even overweight.  He's super strong, he can do all sorts of physical activity without getting out of breath and he's been in the 90+ percentiles since he was about 4 months old.  No, he won't eat veggies, but he only eats whole grain bread, skim milk, only gets one cup of juice a day, eats lots of fruit and low-fat cheese.  If he weighs that much on that sort of meal plan, then I think we're going to be just fine.

6 comments:

Carina & Dan said...

That's pretty crazy about the obese thing. I really think they need to rework that equation. So you said you feed Josh skim milk. What age did you switch from whole milk? I still give Juliet whole milk. I do worry a bit about Juliet. She doesn't look fat or anything but she eats so much food, sometimes I think I ought to cut her off. I mean eating 2 hot dogs & a 2 cup serving of pasta in one sitting, doesn't that seem like alittle much?

Lauren said...

Juliet looks like she's doing just fine! Josh drank whole milk from 1yr to 16 months, then I dropped him from 2% to 1% to skim every few months so that by the time he was about 22 months he was on skim all the time. That was OK with his MD because she saw that he was a big kid. I wouldn't worry about Juliet. You'll know as her mother if she starts getting over weight. She might be going through a growth spurt, or just needing more calories for growing that cute little body. Just make sure she isn't getting empty calories all day (I admit that Josh gets crackers for snack time) and everything will be fine I'm sure.

Stephanie said...

Ours are just like yours. Riley was 18 lb 9 oz at his 4 month appointment - 95% percentile. He's a beast, but a healthy beast. ;) Tell your sweet little man that he'll have to get his own phone he he.

cfg said...

Did the pediatrician think the boys were obese? I doubt it. I am impressed with the varied diet Josh eats, congratulations.

Lauren said...

No, the MD thought they looked fine given the fact that there are really big men on both sides of the family. She just wanted me to watch what he eats though, so he doesn't get into bad food habits that will hurt him later. I totally agree with that. And cfg, that is pretty much the total of what Josh eats, so he eats it every day. I'm hoping he'll be up for trying new things again soon. He won't eat pancakes or pasta, two of the things that make it easy to sneak in veggies.

Mindy said...

Lauren and Carina, I'm just jealous that your kids are willing to eat healthy foods at all.

Also, my kids are big, too, and I love the baby fat. I can't get enough of it! Gunner runs, hops, skips and jumps everywhere he goes, and we plan on being an active family, so I'm not too concerned about our kids being overweight.