July 30, 2011

Josh and the hospital

I'm too tired emotionally and physically to write much at this time.  Josh has been sick and having a LOT of behavior problems lately.  He eventually ended up staying a night in the hospital.  The doctor's best guess is Mono and we can test him for it later if we want proof.  The hospital stay was pretty much to rule out all the scary stuff that could have caused a major behavior change.  Since everything looked fine, we're now back to having to deal with behavior problems.  Josh, who had been doing so well, has regressed emotionally back to how he was around 18-24 months but with all the strength and power of an almost three year old.  Needless to say, I'm feeling overwhelmed right now.  I'm thankful there is nothing seriously wrong with him, but at the same time, feeling a bit down that this behavior is probably going to be Josh's normal until we can find a way to overcome it.

Anyways, here are some pictures we took of Josh's stay in the hospital.  I think (besides the pokes and prods) he really liked it there.  Unlimited crackers, movies and parents to wait on him hand and foot is probably his dream come true.
In the ER as the sedatives are wearing off.  Josh was quite entertained by the eme-bag.
Josh's favorite place was up on the window ledge.
Talk about a room with a view!

 Josh loved watching all the birds fly by.
Probably my favorite picture.

 
This picture breaks my heart a little bit.  He looks so sad.
Luckily Josh was feeling better soon.

I figure with the bills that will soon be coming our way, Josh might as well get his money's worth out of graham crackers.
 Much more comfortable than the crib cage.
It took until 4pm the following day to see a doctor for 5 minutes to tell us that we could go home.  Frustrating, yes, but I had the unique position of just having worked pediatrics a few days prior, so I knew there were a lot of really sick kids up there and only one hospitalist trying to see them all.
I'll write more later about what we're trying to accomplish with Josh.  Things are rough right now, but I know that it could have been worse.

5 comments:

Madame Palmkey said...

I'm so sorry, you must be having an awful time. Mono is the worst, and it is hard to make it go away because you feel better before you ARE better, but too much physical activity causes a relapse. At least it did for me. What a hard time for you guys!

Haley Webb said...

So sad to hear about your little guy being sick. I had mono quite a while ago, but anytime someone talks about it I flash back to the horrible achy feeling that just won't go away, and I am totally feeling sympathy. My only relief was to soak in a tub. I pretty much stayed there for weeks. Hope he is feeling better, and I'll be thinking of you too!

Kristen and Alex said...

I'm so sorry Lauren! I can't even imagine what it would be like to see your child going through all of that and to have such behavioral problems. I really hope and pray things get better for you soon. Josh is a sweetheart.

Lulu said...

Oh wow...I sure hope things work out well-and you guys are definitely in our prayers. You guys are going to come out the other side of this, but I know it doesn't seem like that in the meanwhile. If there's anything we can do, let us know :)

deb sorensen said...

GRRR! Behavioral stuff is so hard! I think Josh is X3 for most kids because he is so strong! Whoa! But, honestly, Claire just ended one herself. It took about 3 months. It was awful. Remember that post that you did forever ago about how you say prayers for help to deal with your kids? I put Claire in time out, she kicked and screamed. I let her scream it out and said a prayer, she saw me and started screaming and kicking and WACK! I smacked her across the face. So much for letting Heavenly Father help...ERG! I'm sorry it's been rough. Glad he's okay, though!