November 17, 2011

Insomnia and the Spewing Forth of Ideas

I tried to go to sleep a few hours ago and I've got too much rattling around the ol' hamster wheel to fall asleep right now.  David has a CPA exam tomorrow.  He has the worst luck ever with the timing of these things.  They're scheduled up to six months in advance and pretty much every time he takes them something happens.  Like buying a house.  Or his son being hospitalized.  Or his wife being hospitalized.  It really stinks because I know it affects his mindset and ability to study, but we've already put them off long enough.  I get all stressed and nervous as well because I don't like not having control over something so important as his CPA exams.  (CPA = more $).  He's been studying very hard despite all the recent distractions and I'm praying that it will go well for him tomorrow.  He works so hard to provide for our family and I'm thankful for all his efforts.

In other news, we started moving things today!  Isn't David a clever mover?  It's the old shower curtain rod.  Genius, I say.
 

When we got the keys yesterday David was out studying and, unable to control myself, I loaded up the boys and dashed over to see our home.  There were a few pleasant surprises like a washer and dryer that weren't part of the contract to leave.  They're older, but will work great (hopefully) for now.  They also shampooed the carpets and the place was immaculately clean.  Thank you, Russian housewife.  They also pulled up all the old garden stuff.

The unpleasant surprise was discovering that I really, really don't like the color of the walls and carpets.  I'll post pictures later.  In artificial light the walls look pink.  The carpet is a very dark tan with a pretty long pile.  Combined with the oak cabinets, orangey-tan vinyl kitchen floor and whiteish cheap countertops, the downstairs feels older than my parents home while being almost fifteen years newer.

I can't wait to start painting walls and redoing the kitchen.  And the master bathroom.  And putting in functional shelving in the wasted space of a walk in closet.  And maybe turning an archway into a built in shelf.  And putting in a built in window seat with book shelves in the master bedroom.  And the list goes on.  I have a Houzz and Pinterest account bursting with creative ideas.

Nothing is really going to happen (except maybe the master closet shelving) until late next spring or early summer.  I can't paint until I can have the house open to air out because I love my children and they have enough lung issues as is.  We can't redo anything major yet because we just literally wrote away most of the savings of our entire marriage.

But I keep on dreaming and pinning all the fantastic ideas I have to turn our new house into our dream home.

2 comments:

The Marley Family said...

Sorry to hear the crummy luck of CPA testing.Hope everything goes well.

We are so excited for your new home!! Glad you are moving in. Please post pics soon. I am dying to get my hands on a house, I must live vicariously through you. :)

Anonymous said...

So home depot has these kits for under $30 I think to refinish cabinets. They have a primer, paint, and a stain for distressing. It's a lot of work- not gonna lie- but I helped a friend do hers and it made a WORLD of difference. I had oak cabinets when I bought my house , they were brand new, only now are they 5 years old, so I couldn't justify the cost of new ones- we had them refinished and added a few pull out spice racks and bead board onthe ends of cabinets you could see and it looks amazing! Just something to consider for summer:) congrats on your home!