We're signing the next thirty years of our lives away tonight, jumping one of the last hurdles before we get our keys. Last week we wrote our final rent check. Yesterday I paid my final tiny utility bill. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get into my own home, but I'm starting to notice all the little things I'm going to miss.
We've always lived in apartments. Our first place was a tiny one bedroom a block off of campus. It was probably around 500 sq feet and we lived there for almost two years. Campus living is always interesting. One evening we were sitting with the door open to keep it cool (our door opened into an outdoor cement hallway) and all of a sudden there were flashing police lights all around us and armed officers running past our open door. David got up, casually closed the door and we waited for things to calm down.
Our next apartment was where we managed student housing for over three years. With two bedrooms and 750 sq feet, it was the home we brought Josh into. Probably the reason why Josh is such a great sleeper is that he had to live through wild parties, rampaging hippos living upstairs, roommate disputes in our living room, sirens at all hours and a major demolition and construction project literally across the street. I'm thankful that the job got David his degree debt-free, but I think that move is rivaling this one in our excitement to get out.
This apartment we're in right now has felt like living the life of luxury. I have a dishwasher AND a washer and dryer and swore that I would never go without these two things again. The rooms are full of light, everything feels safe and with almost 1,100 sq feet, there has been lots of room for two little boys to play. David and I have each had our own bathroom, something we're actually going to have to share now in our home, unless one of us decides to take over the bathroom down the hall. It might come to that. I'm going to miss calling someone to take care of it when the sink won't drain or the heater stops working, or to paint over Josh's artwork.
I will NOT miss unloading my kids and groceries in the rain, lugging them from the parking lot and up a flight of stairs. If the kids fall asleep on the drive home I can leave them in the car, safe in the garage that opens directly into the living room. I will not miss the constant worry that someone can hear my kids yelling and complain about me, though with my awesome neighbors that fear has really subsided lately. I will not miss how my neighbors dryer vent comes out on my balcony, spewing tons of lint all over my stuff and smelling like the most obnoxious flowers ever created in a tube. I will not miss white walls.
In about a week we're going to get the keys to our new home. I am ready for this new adventure in our lives, but just a tiny bit sad to leave behind what we know and a place we've truly been comfortable in.
No comments:
Post a Comment