What came, and what is still here, is the misery of crying, vomiting, coughing, feverish, not sleeping, and constant whining of two sick kids.
It's rather hard to get things done when both boys want to be like this all day long:
David stayed home with the boys yesterday and today it was my turn to miss work. At least I'm off now until next Monday. Today is the closing day on our house, but I'm not really sure when we're getting the keys. I spent all my breaks at work yesterday calling up various companies to start and stop services (and thanking the convenience of Facebook on my phone to ask my friends what size and schedule of garbage service I should order) and making a list of the ten zillion places I need to contact for a change of address.
And the Packing still lies before me. Yes, it deserves to be capitalized because it's become an ever present entity in our home.
This is what the dining room looks like. Only the bottom most layer of boxes are packed. Not very reassuring to me when I could potentially be getting keys tomorrow.
Our room is where boxes of breakable things are being stored, because Josh and Ben insist on climbing over everything in the dining room.
The boys' room is pretty much packed. I can't do more until the last minute because (see puking) we're going through a lot of clothes and bedding right now.
And that is all that I have packed so far. I have so much to do! So why am I on here blogging right now instead of working? Because it's only noon and already I need a break. This morning has included the following: waking up to screaming because Monster #1 has been sick all over himself and his bed. Do two loads of laundry, including washing his pillow. Follow said monster around for a while with a bucket to collect remaining puke. Somehow find time to mix Monster #2 a bottle between the heavings. Find myself thankful that I don't breastfeed because he can feed himself without assistance. Get a phone call from David saying that the loan company missed a signature they must have right away. Let loose a string of almost swear words asking how, when they've had the documents for two months, did they just realize now that they need a signature? David wisely ignores my outburst and negotiates with the loan officer to email the document to us. I figure out how to print, sign, scan and email the items while both children scream at my feet, because David is soon leaving for a meeting and will be unavailable. When I get off the phone, Divine Providence reminds me that today is the annual apartment inspection day and the place looks like a bomb has gone off. Quickly call the office to say our apartment has the plague, but the perky office man says it won't be a problem. I'm tempted to say "Maybe not for you, buddy" but resist. Start a mad dash to clean as much as I can and make a fairly good effort before they show up. The guys are super nice and also answer some of my security deposit questions in a way that makes me much less worried about getting our deposit back. Real estate agent calls and says there is a slight chance we might get the keys today. At this point (because kids are screaming again) I mutter something about it not mattering if we get the keys today or tomorrow. Agent finds out kids are sick and says she'll say a prayer that neither David or I will get it. Which would be good, because David has a CPA test on Tuesday so he's been trying to cram as much studying into this crazy mess of a time frame as possible.
Whew. I think its time to make myself a cup of tea, put the boys down for naps and finish up my book. And to prove that today hasn't been all chaos, here are my cute boys.
It's amazing how a little smile from them makes all of this seem better.
And now I need to go. The screaming has started again. Hopefully by the next time I blog I will have keys to my very own house!





1 comment:
Funny that you mentioned that you were feeling grateful to not be breastfeeding. As I was reading your description of this "awesome" day, I thought to myself, "I am so grateful that James hasn't gotten pukey sick. Ever. But especially during this year that I'm breastfeeding. I don't know how in the world I would handle that if I were stuck on the couch feeding the baby!" I'm so sorry about the sick kids. Blech.
Oh, Lauren. What a crazy time for you guys! I am thinking good thoughts for you and sending you positive energy through the miles. Good luck with the move!!! I promise that you will be able to breathe a sigh of relief once you move into your house, have beds and bedding set up, and have your kitchen put together. And it will be over before you know it!
Post a Comment