December 7, 2011

letter to my kids

Josh and Ben,
Things have been kind of crazy around here with the move and documenting all the cool (and not so cool) stuff you've been up to has been on the back burner.  So here I go trying to remember all the things you've done lately.

Ben - No offense, but I hope future sibling(s) will take after Josh in the teething department.  You are a cranky, drooling, rash-covered tyrant when you teethe.  And since you seem to push through a tooth a month, you've been a bit of a grinch lately.  Good thing you're pretty good natured the rest of the time.  There's been some separation anxiety lately, but only when I leave your sight here in the house.  Leaving you with someone isn't a problem, it's when you're left on your own when you know mommy could be holding you and isn't, that you throw a fit.  This makes things interesting because big brother has decided that he needs to throw a HUGE temper tantrum every time you start squawking.  Then you cry because he's screaming at you, and that makes mommy want to scream at both of you, but she refrains because someone has to be the adult around here.

Your favorite thing right now is when brother plays with you.  You love to wrestle with Josh and will purposely come over and roll yourself onto him in the hope that he will shove you around with his head.  Apparently you find this hilarious.  Much to Josh's chagrin you insist on eating Cheerios off of his plate.  Having your own simply will not do.  You still sometimes do your zombie-slither crawl, but for the most part you've realized that it's faster on hands and knees.

Josh - Things have been kind of rough for you.  Temper tantrums are set on a hair trigger.  We're hoping that it's just stress from moving and that it will be over soon.  On the plus side, you have turned into mommy's handy helper.  Now that we can't barricade the kitchen, you discovered how to open up the fridge and pantry.  Luckily you're pretty good at following directions not to open them up unless I tell you to.  You can get the milk and juice out, hand it to me and then put it away.  Of course you also grab the chocolate syrup in the hopes that I will make you "chocolatey milk" but we limit that to once a day at lunch time.  Unless your daddy is home, then he's a sucker for your cute requests and gives it to you whenever you ask.

You are also great at picking things up off the floor and handing them to me when I ask, giving Ben kisses, trying to find a toy for little brother when he's upset and keeping an eye on him for me.  I can ask you to find Ben and you'll instantly go look for him and shout "dere he is!"  Everything is still made into a gun.  At church on Sunday you took your train and used it to fire across the pews.  Slightly embarrassing for me, but at least you were in the pew and not screaming.  One battle at a time, kid.

I've been off work for almost two weeks for a 'stay-cation' with you boys and I haven't missed work a bit.  You kids might drive me crazy some days, but I am really looking forward to the day when I can be home more often with you.

Love,
Mama

No comments: