April 28, 2012

An unexpected windfall

I guess the reality of having a third child is that my tiny little neon, a remnant from my single days, finally had to go.  It was the first car I bought; brand new, right off the lot with only 11 miles on it.  More than 100k miles later, it was a little sad to see it go.  Farewell, excellent gas mileage and only needing to fill up twice a month.  Adios compact parking spots.  Ciao cute little spoiler and aluminum wheels.


What we have now I have nicknames Goldie the Beast.  Not that it's a bad car, by any means.  In fact the big ol' Chrysler is a great car with only 83k miles on it.  The beast part of the name comes from its huge size.  I parked next to a suburban and it was the same length.  The first time I drove it I backed into and knocked over the neighbor's thankfully empty curbside garbage can.  I'm just not used to driving something so large since my high school days when my rig was a big '76 Chevy pickup truck.  With seven inches of lift and 32 inch tires.  Yes, my roots are a bit redneck.


So now I have a car that three car seats can fit in across the back seat and something that will actually respond when I step on the accelerator.  The best part of the deal?  Cars like my neon are in HUGE demand right now with gas prices the way they are.  I was able to sell it for a substantial amount of money for a car with so many miles.  When I bought it, was told it would pretty much be worthless at 100k.  It was enough that even after buying Goldie, I now have $1,000 spending money. The decrease in insurance premiums will cover the extra fuel bills.


And spend that $1,000 I shall.  This was totally unexpected money so we're going to use it to buy things that we've been wanting to get for our house, but couldn't justify the expenses when we're trying hard to rebuild our savings after the house down payment.  As spring finally gets here (though you wouldn't know it by the last few rainy days) I think that some patio furniture and a BBQ are on the top of the list.

No comments: