November 4, 2010

Playing Catch Up

Things have been kind of busy around here, so today I got caught up with the blog (because that is way more important than things like cleaning the kitchen, laundry or making my bed.)  There are a few posts after this one with more pictures of what we've been up to lately.

 Let's start things off with a preggo update, shall we?
Yes, still got a baby in there.  I am now as far along as I was when I had Josh.  The pressure has relented now, after spending the last 10 weeks wondering if I was going to go into labor really early.  My goal is to make it another week and a half to that golden 36 week mark.  I don't want another NICU baby, not because I'm worried about Ben's health, but because I don't want to deal with the inconvenience.  Does that sound terrible?  Yeah, it kind of does.  When Josh was in the NICU for two weeks I pretty much spent all my time there and could never leave because of feeding him every three hours.  How the heck would I do that with a two year old?  Plus you have to be quiet in there and anyone who has been around Josh knows that him and quiet are like oil and water.  He would pretty much have to live at Grandma and Grandpa's and that just wouldn't be the nicest thing to inflict upon them.  So I'm using all my mental will power to convince little Ben that he needs to wait a wee bit longer.

Josh has been pretty sick this last week, which isn't helping my stress level.  Poor kid got some sort of bug that caused an ear infection and went down into his lungs.  He could hardly breathe so we took him into see the doctor.  Many dollars later, Josh was on an antibiotic, an oral corticosteroid, an inhaled corticosteroid and a rescue inhaler.  He is doing much better now, but I never want to have to give a toddler an inhaler again.  The screaming, kicking, gasping and crying while his little eyes were bugging out of his head in fear was heartbreaking.

Finally, the nesting urge has hit me to get everything all settled into place for Ben's arrival.  Last week I washed up all the baby clothes.  I can't believe sometimes that I am going to have two of those little monsters.
Time to get ready, because we've entered the final countdown.  All the meds that I'm on stop in a week and a half and Ben is probably going to arrive quickly after that.  To think that I might be holding the thing that is kicking the daylights out of me right now in less than two weeks is that unique feeling I think only a mother can have of being thrilled and totally terrified at the same time.

2 comments:

Kristen and Alex said...

I'm so glad that things are going better for you and that you are home! Wow...I can't imagine doing what you described for Josh being so sick with the inhaler. That is terrible! I am glad he is doing better now, but scary in the mean time and also doubly stressful since you are pregnant. We look forward to seeing pictures of Ben!

deb sorensen said...

It's MUCH easier than you think. I remember waking up on day 6 thinking it was really day 400.

I'm so sorry Josh was sick. That's awful. what a brave kid...and mom!

Stay healthy, you two! You really freaked me out when I read your latest blog about that good friend that died after she gave birth and found out she had cancer. can't even imagine the trama.