September 11, 2011

In Remembrance

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of those who lost their lives on 9/11 ten years ago.

I'm not a blinded American who thinks that this was the most tragic event that ever occurred.  I know that terrible events are still happening around the world and many more lives are lost every year to violence and terror.

I'm not a blind patriot either to think that our country does no wrong.  Our country has made mistakes.  Sometimes we have overstepped our bounds and sometimes we have turned a blind eye.  What it all comes down to is us as individuals.  What have we done, personally, to alleviate suffering around us?  I have one glowing example that I can throw out there; I went on a medical mission to El Salvador and spent a week working in remote mountain communities to bring healthcare to impoverished families.  Yet that was one week out of my entire life.  What I have I done since then?  What have I done in my own community to take care of my own people?  What example do I have to show my sons?  I have none right now.

Paying tribute to the memory of 9/11 is good and we need to remember it, but what good is it to watch the news reels or light a candle or hang a flag if it doesn't inspire us to actually go DO something?

I need this message as much as anyone else.  I'm not saying we all need to fly off to foreign lands and dig wells or build wheelchairs.  There are needs in our own community.  Maybe I can put aside my own petty complaints about not having a house and think about those who have no roof over their heads at all.  Maybe I can donate to my church's perpetual education fund or donate to humanitarian funds.  Perhaps when my boys are older we can become more involved in the community.

There isn't an 'easy button' for being better citizens of our community and the world.  At the very least we can be educated about what is going on out there, so go to the library and check out books on what is being done to further women's education (shown to help reduce poverty) or read the stories of African child soldiers.  Simply reading these books will give you an appreciation of the life you live right now and the country that offers you such freedoms.

So thank you to the men and women who honorably serve in our military to protect our freedom.  Thank you to the government officials who honestly strive to make our country better and safer.  And thank you to the countless unnamed and unrecognized men, women and children who daily serve their fellow man, providing a Christ-like example of love and charity.  I think that's the real legacy those who died on 9/11 would want.

No comments: