September 2, 2011

letters to my kids

(In case you missed it last week, I'm trying to be better about documenting the little things that happen with my family that I don't want to forget.)

To my wild/crazy/sweet boys,

This week has been pretty good.  Josh, you pushed me to the limits of my patience one day, and then shoved me right off the edge.  We both had to go to time out for a while, as Ben sat on the floor confused and crying as to why everyone was so upset.  Not our finest hour, but after that one really bad day, the rest of them have been pretty good.  Josh, this week you "read" two books to me.  You have "Doggies" and "Are You Ticklish?" memorized and you can recite them without any prompting.  I love how you make all the dog sounds (that howling is adorable) and when you read the ticklish book, you tickle yourself just like I do when I read it to you.  You LOVE books and I probably read 10 of them at least to you daily.  I hope you keep that love through your life.

Ben, you have been EXCELLING this week with your physical development.  Stephanie, your physical therapist was very happy to see how much you had progressed since the last time she saw you two weeks ago.  You will now play on your tummy, but it has to be on your terms.  If we try to put you there you act like we've abandoned you.  You can't get back up to sitting yet, but you pivot around, prop yourself on your arms and roll all over.  You also scoot around on your bum while sitting, but very subtlety so that we hardly ever catch you moving, more like we glance at you and you've moved.  Your neck issues have pretty much resolved themselves now, with the exception that your head is flat on one side.  Sorry about that, I promise we did what we could but you were a stubborn little guy.  The next issue we have is working on your muscle tone, especially in your hips.  Pretty much you're just not strong enough to crawl yet.  It amazes me how everything in your little body is so connected.  Your stiff neck affected your chest muscles, which made your torso tight on one side, which has apparently affected your hips.  But I'm sure you'll get beefed up here pretty soon, just as you've overcome those other physical challenges.

Both of you boys love playing together.  Josh, you amaze me time and time again with how sweet you are with your brother.  I never see you being jealous.  The other day as I was working on the computer, I kept hearing a "whump" sound and Ben cracking up laughing.  I turned around to see that Josh was whacking Ben on the stomach with a bean bag soft giraffe and Ben thought this was the most hilarious thing ever.  Since no one was crying and Josh was purposefully trying to make you laugh, Mama didn't interfere.

My most precious memory this week happened this evening.  As we watched a movie with Ben in my lap, Josh sat down next to me, reached up,put his little arm around my neck and gently pulled my head over so that my head was resting on his shoulder.  Then he leaned his head against mine and just held me close.  Josh, you brought a tear to my eye and I am NOT a crying person.  It made me thank Heavenly Father for giving me children.  It's moments like that which get me through the temper tantrums, the therapy, the craziness and the worry.  You boys are worth every moment.

Love, Mama

No comments: